I have a wonderful collection of classic soul food recipes, as well as a few twists on the classics that were popular in my Southern town.
Soul food is just … soulful.
It's not always good for you, but you still crave it when you need comfort, when you want to get in touch with your roots, or when you feel nostalgic for times and places that simply don't exist any longer.
Everyone turns to food – often the food they grew up eating, at that – when they need comfort.
Some of us relied on cornbread, collards, and grits with shrimp instead of pasta and bread or sausage and sauerkraut.
But don't worry, y'all, you don't have to come from the South to enjoy these incredible soul food recipes!
1. Fried Green Tomatoes
This is one of my favorite soul food recipes ever.
If you've only ever heard about fried green tomatoes through the novel or the film adaptation, you don't know what you're missing!
Ease the tartness with ketchup or a little bit of sugar in the cornmeal, or experiment by frying up a mess of red and yellow tomatoes as well!
4 to 6 green tomatoes
salt and pepper
bacon grease or vegetable oil
Slice the tomatoes into 1/4 - 1/2-inch slices.
Salt and pepper them to taste.
Dip in meal and fry in hot grease or oil about 3 minutes or until golden on bottom.
Gently turn and fry the other side.
Serve as a side dish - delicious with breakfast!
- 7 Savory Rice Recipes You Won't Be Able to Resist ...
- 8 Healthy Crockpot Recipes for Spring ...
- 7 Finger-Licking Classic BBQ Sauce Recipes to Follow ...
- The Healthiest Ways to Eat 🍽 an Egg 🍳 Muffin if You Just Can't ⛔️ Shake the Cravings 👅 ...
- 7 down-Home Low Calorie Comfort Foods for Cold Weather Days ...
- 20-Minute ⏲ Meals for College Students 🍽 ...