Yes! I know that every day in America is pancake day, but we Brits haven't quite yet grasped the wonderment that is a soft fluffy pancake that you can eat for breakfast, brunch, lunch, or dinner. Of course, we eat pancakes, but we also are great traditionalists. For us, Pancake Day is one of our great food holidays. While most Brits have forgotten that Pancake Day is actually the religious festival of Shrove Tuesday, the day before Ash Wednesday, the first day of Lent, we are pretty relentless about having pancakes on this day. I'm to share some great pancake recipes so you too can celebrate Pancake Day in the traditional way:
1. Traditional British Pancake Day Pancakes
British pancakes are crepes rather than American style pancakes and are traditionally served with a sprinkling of sugar and a squirt of lemon juice.
2. Cinnamon Crêpes with Nut Butter, Sliced Banana & Raspberries
Perfect for anyone who is gluten-free
3. Chocolate, Raspberry & Pistachio Pancake Topping
This will satisfy any sweet tooth.
4. Eggless Pancakes
You shouldn't be able to taste the difference between these and those made with egg.
5. Goat's Cheese, Spinach and Bacon Pancakes
There are some great ways to eat savoury pancakes. These are packed with flavour.
6. Crispy Pancakes with Creamy Chicken & Bacon
Maybe you fancy something savoury. If you're old enough you will remember those (nasty really) frozen chicken pancakes from Findus!
7. St Clement's Pancake
Top your British pancake with some juicy oranges and lemons.
8. Dill Crêpes with Gravadlax, Chilli & Chive Cream and Pickled Onion
Go Scandinavian for Pancake Day
9. VEGAN BEETROOT PANCAKES with ARTICHOKES, ROCKET and TAHINI SAUCE
You shouldn't miss out on Pancake Day because you are vegan. Super yum, super healthy,
10. Sour Cream Crêpes with Seville Orange Marmalade & Amaretto Sauce
This is such an impressive dessert for a dinner party and even novice cooks can attempt this recipe.
11. SPINACH CREPES with PAN-ROASTED VEGETABLES
A very tasty way to get your 5-a-day.
12. Quesadilla Pancakes
Give pancakes a Mexican theme with this savoury red pepper and cheese filling.
13. Crêpes Suzette
The classic French dessert.
14. Mango Mohito Pancakes
If you fancy some boozy pancakes but not Crepes Suzette, these fit the bill.
15. Smoked Ham & Cheese Pancakes
The perfect comfort food. A savoury pick-me-up made with gooey gruyère and yummy smoked ham.
16. Sweet Potato Masala Dosa
Fancy something really different to the traditional pancake? Try this delicious Indian-inspired dish.
17. Dairy-free Pancakes
The cow's milk is replaced with coconut or hemp milk, although you can experiment with other non-dairy milk's too.
18. Pancake Cannelloni
What a great way of serving pancakes. Just as delicious as the pasta version.
19. Cheese & Ham Pancake Roll-ups
A great supper dish.
20. Pancakes with Nutella and Banana
One of the most requested Pancake Day recipes by the kids of Britain.
21. Apple Crepes with Caramel Sauce
This is one of my favourites. I love crepes with stewed apple and a drizzle (or a ruddy great dollop) of caramel sauce makes them heavenly. Try with salted caramel sauce too.